Friday, April 3, 2020

Christian Music





Hello there,


This may seem off topic, but considering it is on the subject of song writing I'll count it towards the subject of writing.

Christian music nowadays is known for being un-creative, repetitive, theologically incorrect, and generally shallow.
And I was wondering, why is that?
And why is it that so many deeply talented musicians follow the frame that Christian culture has made?
And why is it that when I sit down, wanting to write a out of the box worship song or general Christian music, I can't?
Well, I've been thinking, and I've come up with a few thoughts.
So I wrote them down, and here they are if you care to read them.


1. Christians took away creativity so we don't "show off"

It's true that worship is not a concert. It simply isn't. It is a time between man and God, and it's important that Christians don't get that confused or let selfish desires get in the way of worship

But, things like musical talent are gifts from God, and we are to use our gifts and talents to praise Him.

"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given us, let us use them..."
- Romans 12:6

If practically anyone can pick up a instrument, be taught four chords, and then be able to play practically every worship song... talent, or effort, are lacking greatly.
And that isn't good.

And I'm not saying that every Christian song should be near impossible to play, or that it being so easy to play is bad. The problem is why it's so simple, not the fact that it is.

So please, do not think me to be of the devil when I say this;
Things like guitar, bass, drum, and piano solos, complex rifs, complex vocals, "extra" instruments, and deeply thought out lyrics, or even no lyrics, are perfectly acceptable in a Christian song.
And if you are a Christian musician and you are more concerned with the people listening to the music you are making as opposed to God, the problem is where your heart is, not your instrument or song.

And I do not say this while claiming to be guiltless. I play in a praise team, and often lose the reason that I am playing and focus instead on hitting the next note, or thinking of the congregation instead of God, or even just letting my mind wander, while I am supposed to be praising and helping my fellow believers praise by playing music.

And on the note of writing uncreative music, as I said I do the same with worship music. It all comes out like every other Christian song.
Repetitive chords and lyrics, passionless words, and general uncreative things litter my songs when I try to write a worship or general testimonial/encouraging song.

Which leads me to my next point...

2. Christians are forcing music out of themselves 

For many Christian artists, making Christian music is their job. It's how they put bread on the table, so if they want to get payed, they need to produce music.
And as is the case with any career artist (or general artists, really), forcing art out of yourself drains you and produces passionless and meaningless art. The words grow hollow.
That isn't normally a big deal, moral-wise, but for a Christian career artist, it is. Because hollow, inaccurate, meaningless words, when spoken to God, are best left unsaid.

"But I say to you that for every idle word men speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment." 
- Matthew 12:36 NKJV


3. Christians need to be careful of their intent

If you are writing a worship or Christian song just to do it (like I mentioned I did), or just to make money, or for your image, or for attention and popularity... you shouldn't write the song.
Or, you shouldn't play the song.

And that's a hard and scary concept for career Christian artists, because, as I said, words lose meaning when they're a source of income.
But, Christian, God will be with you and provide for you.

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"
 - Matthew 6:25-30 NKJV

I'm not saying you need to do this. I don't know you or your circumstances. Maybe you truly mean every word you speak in your songs.
But if you need to step back for a bit, especially to reconnect with God, don't let fear for you or your family stop you.

3 (1/2). Other stuff

Other things I don't really have enough to talk about, are...

- Christians mimicking secular music in attempt to make their music better
- Christians not knowing or noticing the theologically incorrect and/or complacency in our modern music
- The fact that hymns, which often directly quote the Bible, are amazing and we should have more revamped versions of them



I didn't write this post to guilt or insult anyone. Goodness knows, I'm plenty guilty of the above, so I do not hold myself higher than anyone else for having these thoughts.

I made this post because the fact that Christian music has grown so shallow, complacent, and uncreative is not good, and is undeniable.
It's especially disturbing when you think of the fact that secular, and even satanic, music is often more creative than Christian music, when we are the ones who have something truly amazing to be passionate about

It is my hope that this post makes us Christians to stop and think for a bit, and maybe spark a passion that causes some Christian out there to write a genuine, thought out, and creative song for God. Goodness knows He deserves it.

I hope you found the above thought provoking and insightful.
If not, I'm thankful that you read it anyways (assuming you didn't just skim through, as I am often guilty of) and hope that you at least liked it.

Until I write to you again, I remain most humbly

 ~ Edna Pellen



P.S.
 Here's a wonderful cover of a wonderful Christian song, you should check it out: Heart Of Worship, cover by Tommee Profit


2 comments:

  1. These are all excellent points. This is a topic that's bothered me for a long time, but I'd never really stopped to look at the why behind it, so this was really thought-provoking and encouraging. :)

    ReplyDelete

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...