Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Last Dragon by Silvana De Mari (Mini Review)


The Last Dragon cover.jpeg




"The Last Dragon by Silvana De Mari" (or "L'ultimo elfo" as it's originally called)...

Also known as, one of my favorite books.

"How can you choose a favorite book? That's like choosing your favorite child!" My past self cries in dismay from her magical time portal.
Ah, past self, indeed you were once right on this matter. You still partly are, because I said "one of my favorite books". It is amazing, though. Really. It's one of those books that makes me smile and laugh just to think of.


I've mention this book before, in my post titled Reading Suggestions and my post about my Book Shopping List. That's because I love it. I really, really, love it. Now, in a spoiler-free fashion (because I dare not disgrace this wonderful work of fiction), let's get into why.


Mini Review:


#1. Yorsh

Yorshkrunsquarklejolnerstrink, or 'Yorsh' for short, is the lovable, adorable, precious, and innocent protagonist. When the story opens up, he's a young elf with no family or friends, all alone in the cruel and sunless world that hates and fears his species. And it's this cruel world that he's bent on saving, but first he has to traverse it without getting caught by any humans who want to cook him with rosemary and gobble him up (or so he thinks).

He's brilliant, funny, sweet, easily confused, brave, and (again I will say it) adorable. In all my years of reading, I've not once met a character quite like him. He alone is enough reason to adore this book.


#2. The Imagery

Not literal imagery, this isn't a picture book. I mean the descriptions. They are amazing, and not just the pretty ones (which there are many of). There are also lots of cold, damp, lonesome places that are conveyed so well, I can practically feel it.



#3. The Simplicity

Some credit has to go to the translator for this, but the word choices are just perfect. Sure, there's a miss spelled word every now and then, but overall the way this story is written is just perfect. It's so splendidly simple, no over the top words (well, despite Yorsh's full name), no complexity.

Even the plot, characters, world, mechanics, magic, and descriptions are kept simple. But again, not in a bad way. It's more of in a way a child would see things, which is very fitting seeing the perspective it follows. It's very likely that it would be more complicated, if from a different point of view.

But in any case, I love it. I recommend this book to anyone who is trying to figure out their "writing voice", because it most certainly helped me with mine.


#4. The Dragons
The dragons... Oh dear. The dragons are wonderful in so many ways. Snarky, bitter, whiny, but deep down kind, deeply feeling, and adorable. Not adorable the same way that Yorsh is, but in their own way.

Aside from what the dragon is like character wise, the way dragons are presented as a whole is entirely new to me. But I can't tell you why, it might be a spoiler.


#5. It Doesn't Pull Any Punches

This story does what it has to without hesitation. That's all I can say on this matter.


~~~
That's all for the good half. There's so much more I want to say about this, but I can't without spoiling it all. Really, just go read it. You will lose nothing by reading it.

Now, onto the sad half of this review...



The Downside:

I obviously adore this book. It's one of the best fantasy books I've read.
But there's this tiny, small, infuriating problem with it.

Take a look at these:


The Last Ogre by Silvana De Mari

The Last Spells by Silvana De Mari


The Last Prophecy In the World of Man (+ epilogue) by Silvana De Mari

My Name is Yorsh by Silvana De Mari

Arduin the Renegade by Silvana De Mari



What are these? These, dear reader, are sequels, plus a prequel and a pre-prequel to the prequel. This collection is known as "The Last Elf Saga". Why is this a problem?

This is a problem because if I want to read these follow up books to the story that I love so dearly, I have to learn to speak Italian.
Why? Because that is Silvana De Mari's native language, and the only book translated to English is "The Last Dragon" (or "The Last Elf" in the United Kingdoms).
Why? I have no clue. But in any case, "learn Italian" is now on my list of priorities.

Oh, and did I mention that some of the books aren't even in print anymore? Because, haha, they aren't. Ha. I may never be able to read the rest of this beautiful story. Haha. It's so funny that I have tears. Wait, no, those aren't tears of laughter, those are just tears. Silly me!

Seriously though. If you know of any way to get these books in English (and the ones that are out of print in any language because I will translate them myself, word for word if I have to), please please please tell me.


~~~
Well, that's it. That was the very unprofessional "downside" part of this review that turned into a even more unprofessional plea for help. I'd be amazed if you actually read through all of that.

If you ever have the chance, you should seriously read The Last Dragon/The Last Elf/L'ultimo elfo. It's not flawless, but that's what makes it perfect. Thinking back, there was only one thing about it that I thought to be out of place or disliked, but maybe the next books explain it.

We native English speakers may never know...



On a completely unrelated note, I'm writing this ahead of time and editing it on the same day that the last post came out, so by the time you read it I will have just come back from an adventure. Let's hope it was a good one, and I can get some stories out of to share with you.



       Yours,



                                      ~ Edna


No comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...