Sunday, October 3, 2021

Spoopy Season TBR

 

Hello hello,


While I abstain from celebrating Halloween, I cannot deny that I do in fact recognize "spoopy season" and thoroughly enjoy it. I love the excuse to put aside all of my current reads to enjoy more ominous works as fall is ushered in (though I have be celebrating fall since September first). 

I figured that, as I am doing this (and indeed already am in the process of this TBR) I would share it with you so that you may join in if you would like. 


A note regarding this list: These books are not all "horror" as defined by the Victorians or the people of the modern age. Some of them are just a bit ominous or gothic. Those that are genuine horror, I cannot give an account of because I have yet to read them.


Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

I include this though I actually read it in September as a part of my overalll fall-tar challenge (which, I now realize, I never posted about. Basically my goal is to read at least two autumnal books for each month of fall. For September I wanted to do one general autumnal book, and one spoopy one, thus the reading of Frankenstein early. For - pardon my side tangent - what is September but the preparation for preparation for spoopy season (which is for preparation for November)?

So basically, I did read this for spoopy season, I just read it before posting this. Review on that to come eventually maybe at some point possibly. 



The Vampyre by John Polidori

I read this one already as well, but I did it this month. Yesterday, actually. It is a very short story. 

I'm not one for vampires. They are romanticized and overdone. 

Vampyres, however, are a different story. Literally, a different story. Not too different, they're still blood-sucking perverts, but in this case they aren't romanticized. 

In any case, I read this despite disliking vampires for two reasons: 

1. This was written for Lord Byron's friendly writing challenge, the same writing challenge which. Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein for. So obviously I had to read it. 

2. I'm going to read Dracula and thought it would be cool to read The Vampyre first, given it influenced Bram Stroker. 



Dracula by Bram Stroker

I bet you had no idea this'd be on the list. Not at all. No clue. It isn't like I just mentioned that it would be. Pfsh. 

Anyways. You may be wondering why I'll be reading this when, again, I don't like vampires. For that I have a couple of reasons. 

1. Classics

2. spoopy

I haven't started this yet, so we're officially at the "to be read" part of this list. 



The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

As most people who follow me can probably conclude, I am not one for supporting, promoting, or partaking in LGBT content (which this is promoted as in the modern day). However, I'm very curious about this book and find it is a fascinating discussion piece, plus for my CC series I want to do something on Oscar Wilde and will need to have read his work to do that. 

I have a few other reasons too. 

1. Classics

2. spoopy 



The Complete Collections of Edgar Allan Poe

I have had a completed collection of Poe's work for a couple of years now and still haven't read it cover-to-cover. I love Poe's work though, and find him fascinating in general, so I'm going to finally try to get through the whole thing in one go. 



The Never-ending Story by Michael Ende

This is tentatively on the list, I'm not sure I'll get to it what with writing month approaching. It is not Spoopy, but it does take place during October, and the story is very sentimental for my parents so it's high time I got to know it.

Edit: Actually it turns out this takes place in November. Not sure why I thought it said October, but oh well. it'll stay on this list.


Alrighty I think that's all I have on my list for the spoopy books. I might have more I didn't mention, I'll maybe try to do an actual wrap-up for October and tell you all that I read and whatnot. 


Do you have any books you want to read before October has passed? Do you have any books in mind that I should add to my list?I'd love to hear from you. 


Stay spoopy!



- E.P.



2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit late, October's almost over, but all of these sound like very...interesting October reads. I haven't read any of them, so looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never ;D
      They have been very interesting so far! Unfortunately I haven't finished all of these (Brandon Sanderson's books came into my life and disrupted my TBR), but I will definetly be continuing on with this list in November.

      Delete

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...