Saturday, December 15, 2018

A Writer's Mental Health

My dear friends,


Writing is a beautiful thing. Through it we can create beautiful things, amazing things, wonderful things. We can weave worlds that no one has seen, create new creatures, enter the past or explore the future, we can reach someone's closed off emotions. But like all magic, writing can be used in a harmful way. We can lift hearts, but we can also crush them.
Yes, we can do this to our readers' hearts. I've read many a book or poem that bruised me. But I am referring more to you, the creator of these works.

You have a responsibility to your emotions. As a writer, it makes perfect sense that you would express these emotions by writing. I know I do.
When my heart is heavy and thoughts are dark, I go to my writing. I get a fresh piece of paper and pen, and I vent out the sadness and anger. Likewise, I also write when I am happy. I love writing poems when I have a happy heart and sweet feelings, they always come out to be lightening and upbeat.
But more often then not, I find myself venting these dark emotions. Angry, sad, bitter emotions. And yes, it is very good to get them out rather then letting them eat away at your soul, but I've found that I need to take care and make sure that I am not indulging in these thoughts.
How far can you take expressing your pain before it is feeding it?

It's a lot easier to be sad and dark then it is to be a ray of sunshine. Sadness flows into my writing like leaves caught up in the wind. It almost can't be helped. Almost.

See, something that is important to remember is that we are writers for a reason.
We, like all artists, feel things deeply. And that is why we are able to write successfully, because we can put those emotions that others don't know what to do with into action and create something for others to relate to. We find a place for the chaotic presence of feelings.
But those deep feelings don't end at despair and pain.

If we only write about the shadows in the world, we'll forget about the light that they're hiding from. And there we'll sit, in the shadows, not looking up or around to see the beauty of daylight. And we ourselves will become depressed and left to wallow in the darkness that we've stuck ourselves in.

It is very important to keep your mind healthy and balance all emotions, so here are my suggestions for this;


#1. Spend time outside

At night or day, though considering the theme of light and darkness that I chose to use here morning may be more appropriate.
In any case, admire it. Look at the sky, the grass, the animals, trees... take time to notice the beauty of the smallest things. Take a long walk. Sit by a stream.
I say this one in particular because nature is where I get most of my inspiration. But if you don't live near a lot nature, instead notice the people and how amazing it is that all the buildings around you exist. People made that. Doesn't that make you excited? If people are capable of building the tallest buildings, just imagine what you can do!


#2. Spend time with people who love you

And people who are good influences.
It's important for everyone's mental, and sometimes physical, health to watch who you spend your time with. It can't always be helped, but when it can, make sure that you surround yourself with good influences and loving people who you can be yourself around. That way you have positivity surrounding you and, hopefully, you'll catch it like a cold.

In addition to spending time with people...


#3. Make sure you're getting the right amount of alone time

Everyone needs at least some time to themselves, including writers. It's important to make sure your emotional walls aren't being bombarded with people, or else you may lose your mind.
This isn't to say that you shouldn't spend time with people (as I said in number two, I think this is a important thing), just that you do need some time to yourself and it is okay to be alone every now and then.


#4. Read and listen to happy things

Intentionally listening to happy music has been a great help to me. Even if that isn't your cup of tea, I suggest you at least give it a fair try. I know of people who only listen to sad or metal music because that is the only thing they enjoy. And while things we 'enjoy' have a place, I'm referring to things that make us happy. And I do believe there is a difference.
I quite enjoy reading about world wars, but certainly don't wish for another one. Do you see what I mean?


#5. Write happy things

Force yourself to write happy things. Pick a bright subject and write a poem about it. Or a short story, or a moment in your book, or maybe just a sentence or quote.
I've found describing sunsets our outside scenes to always lift my spirits. Find what works for you, and be sure to do it often enough that you don't fall into the rut of depression.



And of course, there are many other things you can do.
I do very much so encourage you to find something that lights up your shadows. It is very important. But also, reading nothing but depressing things can get old. I've read stories where there seemed to be nothing in the world but pain and sadness. It made me sad at first, but then it just got boring.

So if not for you (though I do hope it is for you), do it for the sake of your writing.
 

    Yours,

                     Edna Pellen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...