Tuesday, October 6, 2020

My 2020 NaNo Goals


Greetings, writer!

I know I said in my Path to Publication post that I would be doing Roslyn for this NaNoWriMo. A few problems arose (mainly the fact that the first draft still isn't done), and now I've decided that it would be best if I worked on a different project during NaNoWriMo. 

This project is going to be a little out of my comfort zone, which is to say it will be as far from Roslyn as humanly possible. That's right, I'm writing something based in the real world. So weird. But on top of that, it's a murder mystery. 

The decision to be as opposite my norm as possible was intentional. I had a handful of story ideas I could of gone with, but this one really is the best choice as far as letting my fantasy-side take a break for a bit. The only problem is that, while I love the premise of this mystery and I know I'll have a blast, I'm at a total loss planning-wise. 

Which is okay; that's what Preptober is for, right?


Another great thing about doing this murder mystery is that I am actually following NaNo's rules for once! I know in my "Peek at Preptober" post I said this would be about my unconventional goals, but that's because that was written before I decided on letting Roslyn rest.

So quite to contradictory to that post, this project will actually be the first time I have ever followed the actual challenge of NaNoWriMo, the challenge of writing 50k words of a first draft in thirty days, in my four years of doing it. 

Still though, so that I may hold the badge of NaNo Rebel, I may be working on another story with my sister off and on. 


All this is to say, my NaNo goals this year are the original goals for the challenge; write a 50k first draft within thirty days. 

Not nearly as interesting as my Roslyn goals were, but it's better than nothing. 


I apologies if this post is rambly or repetitive, I'm now in the frenzy of preptober and am writing this last-minute.

Are you a NaNo rebel or traditionalist? Got any specific plans for this November as well as Preptober? I'd love to head from you below.


- Edna Pellen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...