Friday, April 17, 2020

Social Distancing Support Tag










Please note: As of November, 2021, this post does not necessarily accurately described my opinions in the present day, but does accurately portray what they were at the time of this being written back in 2020. 

I would like to amend a few things: After much research and time to consider this whole thing, I've concluded that masks are unnecessary and useless in the context of a virus, and indeed cause more harm than good (which I did experience), that people have had an absurd reaction to the virus, and that while the virus is of a strange and questionable nature, it itself is not and was not the great danger it was made out to be.  
Some of this opinions may be reflected in my post "The Sound of Silence and how it applies to today." 


Salutations,

I suppose it was only a matter of time before I posted something in relation to the corona virus.

Today, I'm doing a blog tag, started by Ariel from the blog Within the Static, to give people a way to talk about their ails and issues with this virus.

Let's get into it.



Rules:



1. Thank the blogger who tagged you. Link back to both that blog and Within Static

Thank you again, S.J. from When Ice Sings and Stars Fall

2. Answer the tag questions
Aye-aye

3. Tag 3-5 bloggers

Will do.




Questions:



1. What's your current attitude toward COVID-19 (honestly)?



Basically what I've thought from the beginning. It is a bad, and maybe frightening, thing, but the media should not be fear mongering.
The citizens' hoarding isn't good and has only made more issues, but I understand why they're doing it. And I think of it this way:

I would not hoard food or bathroom products, but I have a large family and already need a large amount of groceries and general supplies for day-to-day life.
I know that people are going to panic and raid the stores.
If people raid the stores, I won't get what I need.
So I need to beat them there, I need to get what I need first.
But wait, I realize, everyone else probably has this same mentality.
And if everyone else doesn't want to risk not acting on it because they know that no one else will and they don't want to take that chance, the stores will certainly be empty.
And so they raid the stores anyway, because they fear what'll happen if they don't.

It's wrong, and on the surface level irrational, but when you look a little deeper like that it makes more sense.

As for the virus itself, I'm not personally afraid, because I know I have no need to be. Not because the virus isn't a big deal, and not because on the scale of danger I am basically as safe as they come. I'm not afraid because I know that whatever happens, God is in control. Whatever He allows to happen, I trust that there is good reason behind it, and I know that I, as a Christian, don't need to fear death or life because to live is Christ, but to die is to be with God.
It's a win-win.


On a "how this effects humanity" note, I think we should be more prepared for an economic crisis than the virus. The virus is here now, people are acting now, it is present and being handled as best as it can be. But people need to be prepared for how the lack of jobs, the increase of jobs, the bills, the borrowing of money from the government, the bulk-buying and store raiding, will effect the economy when this passes.
Note, they shouldn't be worried, just be prepared. I wouldn't be surprised if, at least in America, there was another Great Depression on the rise.
However, it would seem that we have had our "panic mode" by buying everything from the stores, so maybe we'll be over it when/if financial challenges present themselves. I hope so.
But if not, I thoroughly look forward to studying humanity through such a thing, as well as the virus. This is history, and I'm living in it. I am recording it, I am remembering it, and I am excited for it.
Yes, they are tragic things, and I'm not happy about all the casualties that have and will happen through this all, but I am glad to be living this part of history.

And I, again, am not afraid. Not of the virus, not of the economy. I am simply observing. I'm praying, too. But whatever happens, I know it'll be okay.





2. Has your schedule become busier or more open as a result of social distancing?



My schedule has been more open.





3. If you were public schooled before COVID hit, how has your experience with homeschooling been (whatever that looks like for you)?


N/A




4. If you were already homeschooled, how has COVID affected you or not?


It hasn't effected me much. For a while, I was making masks, which I suppose cut in to schoolwork a little bit, but that's pretty much it.




5. How are you staying connected with people?


Same as always. My closest friends are already online, and my in-person friends already communicated with me through email and whatnot.
The only real difference is that my church live streams service every Sunday instead of me being able to go to church in person.




6. How do you wish people would connect with you?


Sending hand written letters. I already loved receiving and sending them, and now I have more of an excuse to do that. I also love putting together care packages for my friends. So really, just let me send you stuff, and send some letters in return. ;)

Video calls from friends may be nice as well, if I could get over my awkwardness and actually engage in such a thing. But that isn't because I'm going crazy in quarantine. Actually, quarantine is suiting me quite well. I just wouldn't mind "hanging out" with my friends more.




7. What has been the most difficult part of social distancing?



1. Not seeing my second niece. I used to see her every week day, and now I don't see her at all.
I miss her a lot, we seemed to be growing really close before this pandemic cut it off.

2. Because I can no longer babysit due to social distancing, I'm not earning any money, and so I can't buy books (and I was in the middle of some really good series), and have had to halt my super secret mission that I've been teasing.

3. Lastly, I haven't been able to have my hair cut. Which isn't difficult, but it is a mild nuisance. My hair had been past my tailbone in length, but it was hard to maintain, and because of how thick and heavy it was I constantly had neck aches. So I planned to cut it to a bob, but my mother suggested I get it cut at a salon instead of having her do it, but then this quarantine happened and I can't do that.
So, my mother cut it to a couple of inches past my shoulders, until I can have it cut the rest of the way.




8. Have any blessings come out of it?



A few. I've been writing a lot more, talked to my friends more often, and I've had more free time and been able to sleep later than normal, which is nice.
Also, several of my friends started blogs almost at once, and because I haven't been busy, I've been able to keep up with them fairly easily. And, this tag was made, which said friends are all doing, and have tagged me in. So, this tag is helping content creators, old and new alike, simply by providing something quick to post.





9. What’s been most encouraging to you through social distancing?


There's been a few things that I thought were cool, inspiring, sweet, etc, but I myself haven't been in need of encouragement when it comes to social distancing and whatnot.
But to name a few of those things...

- My church has reacted in wonderful ways, and its members have been supporting each other a lot through this.

- Seeing my writing community pull together.

- Seeing my friends pull together.




10. Have you learned anything new or made any accomplishments during this time (even small ones)?



I have been writing a lot. You may have noticed on my WIP page that my story Roslyn has finally reached (and gone beyond!) 50k words.
This probably wouldn't have happened without my sudden extra hours of free time.

I also learned how to cheat something in Blogger's format, which made me very happy, even though I haven't used the said knowledge. I'm just glad I figured it out all on my own.




11. Is there anything you want to achieve or learn or do before social distancing ends?


At first I was going to say "no", but I suppose there actually is. 
This is the list:

Finish the first draft of Roslyn
Finally have my "resin day" to knock out some projects
Learn a bass solo


The tagged bloggers:


Mary from Wild Writing Dreams
Julia from Julia's Creative Corner
Jane from Jane Maree


The questions:

What's your current attitude toward COVID-19 and social distancing (honestly)?
Has your schedule become busier or more open as a result of social distancing?
If you were public schooled before COVID-19 hit, how has your experience with homeschooling been (whatever that looks like for you)?
If you were already homeschooled, how has COVID affected you or not?
How are you staying connected with people?
How do you wish people would connect with you?
What has been the most difficult part of social distancing?
Have any blessings come out of it?
What's been most encouraging to you through social distancing?
Have you learned anything new or made any accomplishments during this time? (Even small ones)
Is there anything you want to achieve or learn or do before social distancing ends?



Closing:


This was fun, thanks again to S.J. for the tag, and to Ariel for making it!
This is mostly unrelated to the tag, so if you're just here because I tagged you, feel free to skip this. ;)

I had a thing that I thought would be fun to include here, but couldn't think of where to put it, so I figured I'd just stick it here at the end.

When my sister, mother, and I were making masks, Liana made one for me, and I love it. It is absolutely fantastic.
Well, I came down with a cold the other day, and until we figured out what to do about it I was wearing said mask around the house (we soon after decided it wasn't a big deal and I don't have to wear it anymore).
And then I noticed that my mask matched my fedora and suit-jacket, and so I put it all on and took a picture, then showed Liana, who edited it and made it look really cool despite its comedic intention.





(If you didn't know, I've always quite liked mustaches, so it only seemed
fitting to have one on the mask.)


Well, that's all, folks. I hope you enjoyed this post.
Make sure you check out the blogs mentioned here, S.J., Ariel, Mary, Julia, and Jane are all great bloggers.


Until we meet again, I remain,



~ Edna Pellen



4 comments:

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...