Wednesday, September 16, 2020

A Brief Update on The Path to Publication:

 


Hello, readers and writers alike! 


I know I dropped my consistency in posting again, but I have reasons. It likely won't pick back up in consistency for some time (though I'm going to try in October, as I will be participating in R.M. Archer's Preptober Prompts series).

But in the mean time, I have news that proves I have been productive in my absence: 

The good news: Roslyn has reached 100,000 words! 

The bad news: It is quickly surpassing 100k and shows no signs of stopping


I am seriously at a loss for how this happened. My brother and friends just asked "how" when I told them, and I don't know. The story is nowhere near done. In fact, I lost my ending. I knew where it was heading, but now I'm completely lost and just following my outline as best as I can, knowing it's leading to a dead end. 

My writing crew has said I'll probably cut back on words a lot during revising and redrafting, and I do agree; that's just part of the writing process. 
But, I also know that my writing style, as I've mentioned before, isn't a rushed one. I find stories where travel scenes are skipped, where "meaningless" scenes don't happen, and where the story goes too quickly to be uncomfortable for me, both while reading in writing. Not bad, just uncomfortable. Needless to say, my actual plot seems to be spread out pretty far due to these scenes.
So if I find that my word count doubles to 200k (as I suspect it will) due to these such scenes and prose, it's just going to need to stay that big, because I won't be changing my writing style or splitting this into multiple books for the sake of the reader's sanity. If a reader doesn't want a brick-sized-book, they don't need to pick it up (though I do pity my alpha-reader for this). 
(Perhaps this is how Tolkien felt when he tried to publish The Lord of the Rings as one book but was forced to do it as three separate books instead.)

So really, at current my only issues with this book continuing on at such a on-going length is that I need this to be done before November at the latest. Ideally, it will be done by October 1st so that I can read it over and write the second draft during NaNoWriMo, but I'm really unsure if that's even possible at this point without rushing it. 

We shall see. If it does prove to continue on into November... well, I don't know what I'll do. I may make finishing the story as a whole my goal for NaNo instead of reaching 50k. But for now, the plan proceeds as mentioned in my opening post for this goal, and I intend on finishing Roslyn before October.

Excuse me while drop off the face of the earth to panic-write. 


With thanks for reading, 

                

                                - Edna Pellen


P.S. While we're on the subject, and while October, the season of preparation for NaNo, is at hand, what's the biggest project you've ever written? 
Or, if you're a reader, what's the biggest book (or book series) you've completed?


4 comments:

  1. As someone who loves a good brick of a story, I have no problems with this xD.
    ~ Maple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope it turns out to be a likable brick, then ;D XD

      Delete
  2. A multiverse where the MC chases the evil guy though all the worlds in the multiverse.
    I didn't get past the planning stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sounds really interesting, but like a huge and potentially stressful project XD

      Delete

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...