Saturday, December 8, 2018

Reading Suggestions

My fellow writers and lovers of words,

I write to you today to follow up on my last post.
Yes, reading is very very important for every writer. It doesn't matter what the book is, seeing as they all have something to teach you (even the ones you most despise).
But that does make it hard to choose where to begin, doesn't it?
That in mind, I have prepared a list of books for your convenience. These aren't all of my favorites, these are just the books that I find inspiring and that have helped me to better my writing.

If you don't already have a stack of books eagerly waiting to be read, consider picking up one of the following.


* The Last Dragon by Silvana De Mari

Or, 'The Last Elf', in the United Kingdoms.
The Last Dragon is a simply splendid book, translated from Italian.
The author's style of writing was matched perfectly for the story (though credit for some of that should go to the translator, Shaun Whiteside). This is not a flawless book, it has a misspelled word or two and a few parts felt like they could've been given a little more time, but it is good and exactly as it should be. One may call it 'perfect for what it is'. It is one of my personal favorites and the style is one that I have often pursued. I hold it very closely to my heart.


* Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

This is a brilliant classic of which you've most likely heard.
I adore the way Dickens foreshadows and shows character growth in this story. And then the narrative is wonderful, of course.
Without a doubt, it is a harder read. It's full of big words, long descriptions, long sentences and paragraphs, and dry moments.
But if you will stick with it, I am certain you will find your own writing taking on the classical flair of Charles Dickens' work.
And if you enjoy writing period pieces, reading this will give you a decent idea of what words, fashions, literature, and general culture, were like in the eighteen hundreds.


* The Silver Donkey by Sonya Hartnett

This book is meant for a younger audience, but it is held very near to my heart and has even inspired one of my shorter stories. It is a sweet story with sparkling characters, beautiful settings, and morals.
I can't point to any direct reason as to why I include it on this list. The closest I can come to singling anything out, is to say that it is inspiring and shows a writer that simplicity can be done and done well.
But those things are just what I remember of it, as it has been some time since I last read it. I am sure there is much more to be gleamed from it, which you will find yourself.


* A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

To quote my lovely sister Liana, Lemony Snicket "breaks the rules of writing with class".
He follows his own path for these stories, combining a amazing narrative with great characters and a strong plot that are all incredibly original.
There are many things I could say about this series and its creator, but alas, that would make this post incredibly long and I would end up spoiling the story.
So I will leave it at this; I highly recommend reading at least the first of this series.


And that is the end of the list. I'd have liked to make it five books, but wouldn't have had time as I waited until today to finish this letter.
Thank you for taking time to read this. I do hope that you find time for reading one of the above as well, they are all very good books and have much to teach even the most seasoned writer.


Write well, my friends.


    Yours,

   
               Edna Pellen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell, Bleeding Ink

  Hello dear reader, I have some news I need to share. But instead of giving it to you directly, allow me to go on a ramble (which will utte...